Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Son

By Mary Oliver

The son my father never had
lived with me
secretly;
before I sleep
I thought of him
with his strong wrists,
with my eyes.
My mother's body,
too torn from the expulsion
to bear again
fed me,
but the longing was clear.
Soon
I could fight like a boy
I could shoot a gun,
I could get lost
and find my way home.
I could not name the things
I was afraid of
like my own body,
cranky and mysterious
as water.
Of course I dreamed
a miracle would happen.
How they loved him,
his swagger, his long legs!
So, in the end,
I must pity them, I suppose,
for the sorrow
that hangs in the air
even now
when I greet them
as kindly as I can
in my happiness,
in my soft body,
in my long and shining hair -
for it was all true:
the miracle of myself,
their dreams,
their despair.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed there is an error in the seventh line of this poem. Oliver wrote "with my eyes" while this copy contains "with his eyes".

    ReplyDelete

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.