Friday, February 24, 2012

30th Birthday

By Alice Notley

May I never be afraid
             especially of myself
                                           but
Muhammed Ali are you telling
the truth?
             Well you’re being true aren’t you and
you talk so wonderfully in your body
             that protects you with physique of voice
       raps within dance
                             May I never be afraid

              rocked and quaked
                                            the mantilla is lace
                                            whose black is oak
But if I’m dark I’m strong
                                    as my own darkness
my strength the universe
                                    whose blackness is air
                                    only starry
                                    lace
But if I’m alive I’m strong
                                          as life
Strong as the violets
in Marlon Brando’s fist
                          his dissemblance flourished into truth
                                                                              She
took them
I’d take me too
                       I do
               and my Ali I see you
                                    a hard bright speck of me
the savage formalist
                              authentic deed of gossip
               a kind body

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.