Thursday, May 12, 2011

An Unlived Ideology

By Stan Williams

What diversity and equality mean to me
Is that we have differences but you're still equal to me
Different race, different culture, yet we should have equal opportunities
But open up your eyes and that is not what you'll see

You have a classic family and I'm from a broken home
You grew up in the burbs while I was raised in the section aid zone
You surf the web and view hundreds of channels when you're bored
While the internet and cable TV are luxuries I can't afford

In spite of these differences we're the same as can be
Same skills, same dreams, and created equally
But to be equal and diverse is an unlived ideology
Because the world sees our "diversity" and thinks you are better than me.


Previously published here. In 2007, Stan Williams was in the 10th grade at Muriel S. Snowden International High School when this poem won a statewide poetry contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.