Monday, May 6, 2019

This note in my hand

By Melissa Kelly


I’m not that little girl
So vulnerable and small
With thick glasses and braids
I’m not that innocent child
That kept secrets and was afraid
The things you did to me
In your drunken rage
I felt dirty and used
My soul bruised
You were mean and cold
And as stand before you
I need you to understand
It was not okay to put me through
It was never something fathers do
For so long  I felt guilt and shame
I hid behind the lies and pain
While you lived carefree
I built this prison around me
Today I’ll break free.

Melissa Kelly is a poet and short story writer from Long Island, NY. You can see some of her work in WestWard Quarterly Magazine, Plum Tree Tavern, Soft Cartel, and Amethyst Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.