Saturday, April 1, 2017

American Nightmare, Day Two*

By Carol Seitchik

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."  Margaret Mead


Be vigilant, America.
This is what Feminism looks like.
This is what democracy looks like.

Females are as strong as hell
when women of the world resist.
And you haven’t seen nasty yet.

This march is not about you, Donny.
You’re out of your element.
Feminism is my Trump card.

Keep your laws off my body.
Our daughters need to know
their bodies are their own.

Action is an antidote for despair.
But now, hell hath no fury
like a woman reborn.

Women united are stronger
than a country divided.
I voted for love not hate.

I will not be silent.
I will not play dead.
I will fight.

I am woman hear me roar.
Hear us, hear our voices.
This is just the beginning.

*All taken from signs from the various marches


Carol Seitchik comes to poetry after a long career in the visual arts. Her poems have appeared in the anthology, A Feast of Cape Ann Poets and various journals such as Endicott Review, Zingology, Gemini Press, and Heartlodge. She has been nominated for a Pushcart award and has won prizes from the North Shore Poets Forum, Byline and the Indiana Review. Carol is a member of Cape Ann Poets and lives in Beverly, MA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.