Wednesday, April 27, 2016

SPEEDING PAST THE I-40 EXIT TO BASCUM HE BEGINS TO THINK ABOUT TACKETT’S STATION AND WESTERN CIVILIZATION AND PEGGY HOOPER

By Miller Williams

Where the Woodrow Wilson School was once
squat blocks of pastel siding
slap back at the sun.
Why should it be there? Who was Woodrow Wilson?
We had a Dodge. When we hit a chicken
we had chicken.
Milton Tackett fixed tires and sold the rubbers
you had to have in your wallet
like a badge
You’re under arrest. Take off all your clothes.
Milton gave a package of rubbers free
for any pair of panties.
When you told him her name and he believed you
you got a dozen.
No sir I said I guess not.
Well he said if I said
pussy I could have one anyway
A woman off the Titanic
talked Sunday night.
She said that all she heard them play
was a waltz.
I bought a Nash
for 97 dollars.
Sunday afternoons
cotton rows running up to the road
flicked by like spokes.
The cropdusting plane put down its pattern
back and forth across the field
like a shuttle.
I was drunk on speed
and metaphor. The world
was a weaving machine.
But on the other hand
said Alexander the Great
bringing down the sword on the Gordian knot
fuck fate
Didn’t you used to live here?
Don’t do that you’re going to tear something
Look if I take off my clothes will it make you happy
I’m sorry. What did you say?
Nothing. Never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.