Friday, January 17, 2014

Seeds/Spring Gentian

By Andrea Witzke-Slot

Seeds 

Yesterday I wanted to plant flowers.
No. I wanted to plant seeds.

The ground was cold and hard.
A jackhammer was needed.

I threw my kernels over the ground,
Watched them scatter, roll stiffly in the wind.

From my window today, I see birds gather
in the ice-capped air, pecking in frenzy.

Spring Gentian

Yesterday I wanted to plant flowers.
It rained all morning.

I slid my spade into soft soil, dug neat holes.
The sun appeared at my back.

I mauled life into sturdy position,
Plugged the right resources, prayed for May showers.

From my window today, I watch explosions of blue sway in my garden.  

These poems previously appeared in Alba.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.