Saturday, October 9, 2010

Men Who Should Have Loved Me

By Rae Rose

My history professor - in your adorable
black shirts and that strange click
of your jaw that made you so thirsty.
You said, "A one world Utopia sounds genocidal"
and I almost dropped my pen.
You blushed when you cursed, called my writing a joy
and snuck looks down my cleavage in your office.
Room Q 19, fourth floor.
Your wife grows peppers and keeps chickens.
She asks you to go to the store when you're out of plums.

Saxophone player - all dimple,
all clever smile.
You loved my hair short and curly, drank with me at the bar
and your wife never came to a show,
well, once.
Once she did. In tennis shoes with the laces
untied and huge white tube socks
and I called her "Socks" to feel better about myself,
but it didn't work. You told me about your quiet Halloween,
cuddling and handing candy out to kids
and I can't imagine her like that,
but I'm wrong. I hate that memory. Yours.

Kevin Beck in 1st - 8th grade.
We were the funny redheads.
The first note you wrote to me as an adult
was from jail. You shot a cop.
I stared at the return address. You said you missed me.
Everything was misspelled. There wasn't any punctuation.
I wrote back. You didn't.


The man who called me "Honey." Just that sound! Honey.
You bought me dresses and nachos.
I didn't love you either.
You call me now, back from France
and a mental break down. Your therapist says hi.

Oh Freddie, you idiot.


Published in The Raleigh Review, October 2010

2 comments:

  1. This poem is spot on about how I'm feeling these days - so many old loves, mostly unrequited, that left me wondering if I were the fool or they. Thanks so much for sharing. It was a blessing to read.

    I'm stealing for my blog. hope you don't mind - evolutionofpaper.blogspot.com

    ps...I absolutely adore your blog! poetry is meant to be shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fine to re-post the poem, but please give proper attribution to Rae Rose, the poet, and also to the journal who published it. Since small journals are always struggling to stay afloat, I think we should support them anyway we can. This poem is up in the website for Raleigh Review right now.

    ReplyDelete

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.