Thursday, December 13, 2012

I Hate Telling People I Teach English

By Wendy Barker


Like last August, after they’d finished my bone scan,
          this combed-over mid-sixties guy starts chatting about the novel
he’s written in his head, he only needs someone like me
          to work it up, he never liked punctuation, parts of speech, all that junk
from junior high, and I couldn’t get my print-out fast enough
          to take to my GP, who likes to quote from his inspirational speeches
to local luncheon clubs. He’s determined to collect them
          in a book, though he’d need a good editor, do I know any, and meanwhile
I’ve been waiting fifty-seven minutes for help with recharging
          my sluggish thyroid, and I haven’t met any doctors who like giving
free advice about your daughter’s milk allergy or your friend’s
          migraines or the thumb you slammed in the stairwell door, splitting it
open so badly your students interrupted your lecture on
          pronoun agreement to note you were dripping blood from your hand
and wow, what happened? But it’s mostly at parties I hate
          admitting I teach English. I’ve never been quick enough to fudge,
the way a Methodist minister friend says he’s in “support
          services” so he doesn’t get called to lead grace. I guess I could dub myself
a “communications facilitator,” but since I’m in the business
          of trying to obviate obfuscation, I own up, though I dread what I know
is coming: Oh, they say, I hated English, all that grammar,
          you won’t like the way I talk, you’ll be correcting me, and suddenly
they need another Bud or merlot or they’ve got to check out
          the meatballs or guacamole over on the table and I’m left facing
blank space, no one who can even think about correcting
          my dangling participles. Once when the computer guy was at the house,
bent over my laptop trying to get us back online,
          he asked what it was I wrote, and when I told him “poetry,” said, “Ah—
fluffy stuff,” and I wasn’t sure whether he was kidding
          or not, but I figured at least it was better than his saying he hated poetry
or that he had a manuscript right outside in his Camry and
          could I take a look, no hurry, but he knew it would sell, could I tell him
how to get an agent for his novel about his uncle
          moving to Arizona and running a thriving ostrich farm until the day
hot-air balloons took off a half mile away
          and stampeded the birds, till all he was left with were feathers and bloody tangled
necks on fence posts, the dream of making two million
          from those birds a haunting sentence fragment—but then, I think:
I would never have wanted to miss the time a dentist,
          tapping my molars, asked if I’d like to hear him recite Chaucer’s Prologue
to The Canterbury Tales in Middle English, which he did
          while I lay back in his chair, open-mouthed, pierced to the root.

1 comment:

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.