Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cotton Candy On A Rainy Day

By Nikki Giovanni

Don't look now
I'm fading away
Into the gray of my mornings
Or the blues of every night

Is it that my nails
keep breaking
Or maybe the corn
on my second little piggy
Things keep popping out
on my face or of my life

It seems no matter how
I try I become more difficult
to hold
I am not an easy woman
to want

They have asked
the psychiatrists...psychologists...
politicians and social workers
What this decade will be
known for

There is no doubt...it is
loneliness

1 comment:

  1. I just had an epiphany. It's Saturday, May 2, 2020 and we've been quarantined since March. Today I thought it was Sunday. I even had the nerve to argue the point with someone I was supposed to have a conference conference call with, on Sunday. I then realized that my days are melting into each other, like cotton candy on a rainy day! I finally got Nikki's poem!

    ReplyDelete

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.