Monday, June 28, 2010

The Kama Sutra of Kindness: Position No. 2

By Mary Mackey

should I greet you
as if
we had merely eaten
together one night
when the white birches
dripped wet
and lightning etched
black trees on your walls?

it is not love
I am asking

love comes from years
of breathing
skin to skin
tangled in each other's dreams
until each night
weaves another thread
in the same web
of blood and sleep

and I have only
passed through you quickly
like light
and you have only
surrounded me suddenly
like flame

the lake is cold
the snows are sudden
the wild cherry bends
and winter's a burden

in your hand I feel
spring burn in the bud.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Goes straight to the Heart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eloquent bitter-sweet beauty in the beingness of mating for life.
    Excellent words♡

    ReplyDelete

If you include links in your comment the whole comment will likely be deleted as spam. You have been warned! Otherwise, dialoguing with these poems is encouraged.